Monday, January 30, 2006

Bowl-meals and my own fast food: the fake tortilla

More often than not, I come home late, feeling tired and hungry. I've had conversations with friends in which we fantasize about having our own personal slave, something akin to an Oompah-Loompah, so that upon arrival at home, a full meal spread would be waiting. Until we figure out how to acquire one of these, I'll have to take care of myself. That means putting together meals within 30 minutes of arriving home, or I'll start feeling my stomach dissolve itself.

Today, I thought about picking up some food on the way home, but couldn't think of anything I really wanted to eat. I quick look in the fridge yielded eggs, cabbage, and frozen peas. I instantly thought Tortilla!, but with only three eggs, that seemed like an impossibility. But once I thought that I wanted a spanish tortilla, I couldn't give up the idea. So I made a modified one that was healthy, tasty, and satisfying but looked nothing like a tortilla:

- approx. 3/4 lb green cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 extra large eggs
- 4 T olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste

Heat a pot of water to parboil the potato slices. In the meantime, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil and saute onions and garlic until soft and golden brown at the edges. Add cabbage and mix into onions and garlic. Cook for approximately 5 minutes. Add frozen peas and cook for about another 5 minutes. Lightly beat eggs in a bowl and set aside. Potato slices should be done now, so drain and add potatoes to the saucepan. Mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add eggs to pan, let cook at medium heat for about 2 minutes, allowing it to set, if possible. In this case, there was no hope, so instead, I coated all ingredients with egg. Serve in a bowl and scarf down.

Makes about three servings.

I realized a couple things as I was eating.
1) I love one-bowl-meals. It's similar to a horse eating out of a bucket--only one task at hand and very little distraction
2) This fake-tortilla was similar to a fake-egg foo young; peas and potatoes (tortilla), with shredded cabbage (egg foo young). It was a strange hybrid of the two that ended up with about 1/8 of the egg volume necessary to set the dish.

Still pretty good, nonetheless.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?