Thursday, February 23, 2006

Mr. Topsy-Turvy's Cake


I have fleeting memories of my mother baking upside-down cakes. From what I recall, there was only a short period of time in which upside-down cakes appeared in my childhood kitchen. Back then, I helped out a bit in the kitchen, but I was a bit too young to do much, so my main role was to partake in the "cake demolition". During that period of Topsy-Turviness, I fondly remember devouring cakes topped with either kiwi or pineapple.

Since I had a bag of frozen cherries sitting around and I needed something to remind me of summer, I decided to bust out with a cherry-apple upside-down cake. This recipe is based on the cherry upside-down cake recipe from Epicurious. I made adjustments to the recipe because I wanted a little apple on the top of the cake (for vanity's sake more than taste) and I was a little too lazy to separate the egg whites from the yolks (and all that is entailed once you start the egg separation process). Also, I only had cane sugar, so I went with that.

In the end, the cake turned out pretty well. I have only two criticisms, the first being that I would have liked the butter/sugar topping to have been more caramelized. I guess for the next time, while making the topping, I would ensure that the sugar would have combined a bit more with the butter before placing the fruit. I also thought the cherries tasted a little flat, and that may have been because they were frozen cherries that seemed to have lost a good part of their cherry flavour. I look forward to the summer when I can try fresh cherries in this recipe (another fruit topping may work well--kiwi?). Otherwise, I was pleased with the result.

Topping
Cake
Topping
Cake

Comments:
Oh yummy! This looks super tasty...although I'd probably add a hearty dollop of fresh whipped cream on the side. But that's just a personal preference. I pretty much like adding fresh whipped cream to any dessert. Mmmm.....
 
cin--
thanks for stopping by. Isn't it a shame how upside-down cakes are no longer fashionable? People who used to bake them no longer do! I, for one, will definitely continue making them.

Sparks--
you are so on the ball...many upside-down cake recipes recommend serving these cakes warm and topped with whipped cream. I don't doubt the deliciousness of this combo, but so far I haven't done it out of consideration for my heart health...

amorphic--
very flattered you loved the cake so. But really, even if you drop a bit on the floor of lab, I would much rather bake you a whole 'nother cake than having you eat off the floor. Remember Ben Stiller in Along Came Polly? He didn't even have to eat off the floor before he ended up having an appointment with the porcelain god!
 
Nice presentation! Everytime I make an upside-down cake, the bottom ends up coming out in nice little chunks because I don't get my timing quite right! Sounds yummy!
 
Gorgeous cake. And cherries too. I, too, would have eaten with a healthy (sic) dollop of clotted cream. Yums.
 
Hi Michelle,

Thanks, but I think the presentation had more do to with the large amounts of butter used for the topping, rather than timing. So, really, no skill on my part!

Hello MM,

I've caved on the cream-front... just today I purchased some whipping cream for another dessert I'm planning. Too bad I haven't found any good clotted cream in NYC. I'm sure it's out there, but it'll be difficult to find some that's as good as the clotted cream from Dorset.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?